Certified Nurse Aide
You look out for other people. Making other people comfortable and happy makes you happy. You’re a guardian angel. You let other people know when a friend needs a little help.
If these words describe you, then your personality is right for beginning a career as a Certified Nurse Aide, or CNA. CNAs are in huge demand all across the metro area, in all kinds of dynamic and interesting settings. You could work in a private home, you could work in a long term care facility or a skilled nursing facility, and you could work in a bustling hospital, a prison or hospice. CNAs are often the principal caregiver in a patient’s life. Your ability to meet people’s needs can translate into a great job that leads all kinds of places.
CNA is one of the fastest-training jobs in health care. You can become certified after anywhere from two to six weeks of training.
What will you do as a Certified Nurse Aide? Here are a few common duties in a variety of settings:
- Answer patient calls & deliver messages
- Serve meals, make beds, bathe and dress a patient
- Take temperatures, pulse rates and blood pressure
- Escort patients to operating rooms
- Set up medical or care equipment
- Observe patient conditions & report to staff
The CNA field is perfect for people like you who are dependable, pay attention to details, listen well, observe emotional states, have a caring spirit and are good at problem-solving. Salary ranges for CNAs currently go from about $18,720 a year to $35,376 a year, or $9 to $17 an hour. Employers may require proof of education credentials in this field, and employee background checks, depending on the employer and the workplace.
$18,720 – $35,376
$9 – $17
Many local education institutions and apprenticeships offer CNA coursework and training. For more information, call 720-560-2406.
Programs can be found at:
- Pima Medical Institute
- Emily Griffith Technical College
- Front Range Community College
- Arapahoe Community College
- Red Rocks Community College
- Community College of Denver
- Community College of Aurora